Friday, April 3, 2015

Day 73: Geneva Convention

Listening to: "It's De-Lovely" from Cole Porter's Anything Goes

Wah wah. Seems you guys didn't take my "moving to Paris" thing seriously. Which is kind of disappointing. Last year you all believed that I discovered I was Japanese. Even my mother!

Anywaaaaaaay....

My Shakespeare professor said some more interesting things today. But most importantly, I learned how to say some key phrases in French.

Now, I straight-up asked my professor, "Comment dit-on 'I can understand you, assholes'? en français?" 

Well, he told me how to call someone a not-so-nice word. But he said I shouldn't be making too many enemies here, so he offered a clever alternative: "Tu sais, ce qu'elle te dit, la Chinoise?"

So the whole scenario: some asshole talks about me in front of me, I whip my head and say that, which basically means, "You want to know what the Chinese girl would like to say to you?" and then my French teacher said most Frenchies will retreat with their tails between their legs. Wh-hoooo. Then I can sound slightly more sophisticated.

But yeah. I don't want to talk about my French and the incredible frankness with which my Shakespeare professor talks about sex in Antony and Cleopatra.

No, I want to talk about the lovely visitors who were kind enough to let me tag along today.

So I'm in a quint next year--one of my roommates is Jamie, who was my roommate last semester. Another member of this quint is Sabrina, who is currently studying abroad in Geneva. So I got to meet future roommate! Always good. And she brought her delightful friend Nayantara along with her. They're both studying in Switzerland (where I'm going in a few weeks!) and are doing their European tour. Yayyyyy.

They're staying in Montmartre, so I wandered over there, and we climbed numerous stairs to reach the Sacré-Cœur. We took breaks, and I encouraged them with thoughts of food at the top (not at the church; after). 

We got some lovely shots:

 Obligatory landscape (building) shots.

 Ditto. 

 Nayantara and Sabrina.

 Nayantara and me. Poor girl. I forced her into the photo with me. I'm mean like that.

 Because you can't just take one picture! What if the first one is bad? I apparently haven't learned this lesson.

Me and Sabrina, my future roommate!

And again because we're so beautiful. :)

Sabrina and I went inside the Sacré-Cœur; Nayantara had to forego that excursion because she is allergic to incense. (I hate strong smells too, but she actually has a better excuse than me just being irritated by the cacophonous assault of scents coming from Lush.) Sabrina and I were very respectful and did not take photos! After all, Mass was pretty full today, it being the day before Good Friday and all. Easter is a big thing here. The Crown of Thorns is coming out tomorrow.

We wandered down to the Place du Tertre, where all the boho artists and restaurants are. We opted to eat outside and people-watch. Our waiter was extremely flirty--this is a common theme in packs of women. At least he wasn't like the other waiter who listed every cocktail as if it were a double-entendre... Ugh. 

Honestly, I just picked the restaurant because it had my name in the title--although with a C, which is just not as cool. But K's aren't really a thing here...

After that, we settled the bill like mature people (cough cough unlike the tea bags I was with at that sushi place my first week) and headed down the hill to find dessert.

Dessert was extremely yummy. I had my standard Earl Grey tea, and Sabrina and Nayantara shared a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of chocolate ice cream as well as a chocolate banana crepe. There's not much room for error there. I had a apple crepe which I pretty much ordered because it was flambé-ed, which meant he set it on FIRE. And since I'm a little kid, I was going to order the dessert with fire, even though it just mostly tasted like alcohol. But... Fire! Pretty.

I had such a great night. Tomorrow we plan to meet again, but I won't disclose anything yet. :) 



No comments: