Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day 78: Class Notes

Listening to: Palestrina by the Tallis Scholars (it's in Ulysses; I don't just find this stuff on my own)

ORIGINAL DATE: April 7th, 2015

Yeah, yeah, it's cheating to go back and add these days. But I'd feel weird if there's a big gap. Kind of like this.

Anyway, I'm a good note taker. So here's what I have from last class on the 7th of April.

Quotes from Modernism Class

Emily Blunt just compared our Professor's choice in sweater color (bright purple like Barney the dinosaur) to something that can only be pulled off by an "old black lady"; Professor seemed very flattered.

(Side Note: I give some of these people random nicknames. They make sense to me but to no one else on purpose.)

Anna Kendrick: Odysseus's men don't know how to do anything other than fight and have sex.
EB: Good things to know.

"Heat is not a problem in Dublin." - Professor

Classmate just claimed it gets dark at one in the afternoon. (
Yeah... In Antarctica!)

"You don't park a ship... What do you call it?" [several seconds pass] "Anchor! You anchor it!" - Professor

"There is a lot of constipated language in Ulysses." - Student Without a Nickname (Statement is especially funny b/c we were just discussing the scene where Bloom...how to put this delicately...shits in his garden.)

"You're lucky you don't have balls." - EB (She says most of the good stuff.)

"You are your own father--Wait, no, that's not right..." - Professor

Me: Nobody likes Buck Mulligan. (Yes, I say things on occasion.)
EB: Buck Mulligan likes Buck Mulligan. (BTW, Buck Mulligan is the biggest asshole character EVER.)

Great... more of this crap on men fearing cuckoldry--this isn't Shakespeare in Context!

EB: (In response to the attractiveness of Bloom's wife in Joseph Strick's movie version of Ulysses) Pretty? That woman was a mud face.
The Rest of Us: ........
EB: It needs to be burned, then the ashes tossed into a river, and then that river needs to be drowned in space. 
(I don't understand this train of thought either, but it's pretty great.)

Quotes from Shakespeare Class

I think of professor just used the word phrase "baby phallus." I don't think I have anymore notes to write after that.



No comments: