Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 81: Pillows of Heaven

Listening to: "London Calling" by The Clash (listen to terrible John Green joke about The Clash here)

ORIGINAL DATE: April 10th, 2015

Just a head's up: traveling on Friday afternoon/evening (or "prevening," as Sheldon would say) is a TERRIBLE idea. As I'm writing this from the future, I can affirm that statement even more than ever. But let's stick with what happened on this day.

As always, interesting things were said in class about Ulysses:

Class Notes

"I really want some tight lavender pants." - Professor (This was just after he knocked my reference to Gilderoy Lockhart's lavender clothing in Harry Potter, sadly. I thought he was so cool. Eh, I still do. But you can't restrict someone's right to talk about Harry Potter!)

"I don't feel particularly disturbed when I get shat on by a bird." - Professor

Sample dialogue from conversation about how spitting and kissing are actually the same thing (that's somewhere you don't want to go if you ever want to kiss someone again):

AK: My parents are Greek, and they spit everywhere.
EB: Are they Greek or goats?

Stranger Danger

AK: I don't know, it just seems like an unwritten code of common courtesy that you don't interact with other people on the Metro. Don't even look at them. That's weird.
Margo Roth Spiegelman: I had a nice conversation with a lady on the Metro. It was great.
EB: She probably stole your kidney.
Me: And then Bloom ate it. (James Joyce's main character really likes to eat kidneys. Pork kidneys, but I'm sure he would take a human kidney if it were given to him.)

"Porous" also needs to be added to the list of unacceptable words to say.

Basically entire class discussion can be summed up by the song "Ain't No Man Manhattan."

*

Anyway, following that scholarly discussion (we actually broke some ground on the kissing vs. spitting debate), I rushed to Charles de Gaulle Airport for my flight to Luton Airport outside of London. Now, since I'm used to flying out of Heathrow (okay, just once), I was kind of disappointed. Also because Luton is pretty damn far from the city itself. (And because I couldn't do a crazy Love Actually move like break through the security gates to declare my love for my classmate or jump into the Prime Minister's arms and make out with him.)

Of course, the flight was delayed. But it turns out delays aren't terrible when you're already at the airport and have everything ready to go: they're just inconvenient. Luckily, the delay gave me time to buy some macarons for my hosts in London, CeCe and Julia. Oh, and some random dude who was running out the door to Rome. (I didn't catch his name.) I was secretly glad he left because I didn't have enough macarons for the three of them.

(Random: Unfortunately, I can't find a clip or a GIF online, but there's an excellent scene in Monsters University that perfectly describes me. So they're about to go to a frat party, and the monster with two heads--Terry and Terri--is like, "Wait, we can't go inside without a housewarming gift. We have to go get some scented candles!" That is totally me. It may seem insane, but it does get you places. My mother would be proud.)


No comments: