Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 82 (just barely): SPECIAL EDITION - LONDON LEISURES

Listening to: "No Place Like London" from Sweeney Todd

London Leisures

Night 1 (Friday into the wee hours of Saturday, April 10th to 11th): The House on Harrowby Street

First of all, I'll acknowledge that this song is kind of a downer, but I'm tired. And I can't think of any other London-y songs. Also, I know my alliteration must get tiring, but I'd feel incomplete if Amsterdam had such a lovely title to say aloud and London was like, "My Time in London." Blech for a nerdy wordsmith like me.

Yeah, I know, I should be asleep. But I'm sorry for neglecting the blog! Believe me, I'm actually apologizing more for myself. This writing gives me a sense of peace.

So I decided to start up again and will try to fill in my amazing Sunday in Amsterdam as well as this...interesting week in Paris.

But I have touched down in London! Well, I did like 3 hours ago. I then took a bus, fell asleep on it, probably missed my correct stop (oops), found a cab, convinced the cab driver to let me out even though we couldn't see the flat, wandered in the wrong direction, received useless but kind help from a stranger, and then finally found my way to the Landward. 

I'm basically living the high life here compared to last weekend--even compared to my apartment, where we have a tiny elevator and stairs that I am sure to kill myself on one day.

Plus, I walk into my room to see this!



 Loren is such a sweetheart: she left me these nice notes with helpful advice and most importantly, free towels! (I love the notes more, but seriously, I had to pay 2 euros to use a towel in Amsterdam. WTF.)

Loren, you probably have more important things to do than read this, but thank you so much! You are so wonderful for letting me stay here--and your roommates are so wonderful for letting me in at 2 am without any complaints. I brought them macarons. But don't worry--I'll learn to make them over the summer so we can just eat them every day next year. :)

Feels so good to be back in London. Got a whole day ahead of me. But first... Sleep. Perchance to dream some weird stuff only Katie Willard could dream of.

Au revoir! Wait, I can speak English! Finally! And everyone can speak it back to me! How I've missed this. (Although I did feel bad I couldn't speak Chinese for this one girl who looked terrified in the airport. She looked so hopeful when she saw me, then I turned out to be just as useless as any other white American/European who knows zero Chinese--a lot of us, it turns out.)

(P.S. Even though my plane was late, I did get to board the plane like I was one of the Beatles. Which Beatle am I? John, obviously!



Also, the Brits get creative with their WiFi names here, especially utilizing the great British literature available for them:



LOL.)


No comments: