Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 80: My Latin Quarter Hat

Listening to: "Where Is My Mind" by the Pixies, from the Fight Club soundtrack

ORIGINAL DATE - April 9th, 2015

I needed an appropriately angsty song.

This was admittedly a weird day. All I can really say is that I do NOT like French absurdist theater. :/ Waiting for Godot may be ridiculous, but at least it doesn't give the viewer terrible anxiety.

In case you're interested, this was the show I saw.

Anyway, just randomly on the subject of Waiting for Godot: when I saw it with Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, the most noticeable thing was that they would say GAHD-oh instead of Gah-DOH. So basically an emphasis on the first syllable. Those Brits, man. They're weird. :)
Random picture time! Yay!


I didn't know my high school principal was a donor to the Musée d'Orsay. :)

You wouldn't think people would say this to you. You would be wrong.

Ah, so what happened to my plans to go to Crete? Well, it turns out, even in April, it's not technically "tourist season" (my inside jokes are terrible, I know) in Greece. So I would've had to fly to a major city like Athens and then take a boat to the island. Not a problem, right? Well, the boat ride would've taken over EIGHT HOURS. And since it takes that long to get from Paris, France to Washington, DC in the US, I was like, "Um, no."

This can be taken two ways: "I'm trying to say something more original than 'Damn, girl, you look good.'" OR: "You asked me for a compliment and I don't think you're pretty so yeah..."

As with a lot of things, I shared this with Alyssa. Her response: "That is ridiculous. How often do you need to tell a French dude that his pants are falling down?" Very wise, Alyssa, as always. In fact, I feel like this is a better saying to know in the US, given that Justin Bieber's pants hang well below his ass. (I'd link to a picture but I don't want to ruin anyone's sensibilities.)

I think we used to have the same warnings on American fattening food commercials, but we just gave up. But yeah, that bottom warning in French (all my YouTube ads are now in French, annoyingly) basically says, "You should still eat your fruits and vegetables." Which is amusing because it just sounds so mother-waving-her-finger-at-you in terms of warning.

No comments: