Thursday, January 29, 2015

Day 21.95833: French KFC

Listening to: "Cruella De Vil" from 101 Dalmatians

Love the feedback. But I know that "interesting" is code for "pretentious." :)

Anyway, just one last entry to let you know about my dinner.

So, I know I'm in France and I'm supposed to be eating brie and bread for every meal with a nice bottle of Merlot. But since I was having one of my sick days, I decided to go for some old-fashioned, fattening American cuisine: KFC. It's also right down the street from me. And being a good documentarian, I just had to enlighten you guys about the differences between KFC at home and KFC here.


What they call the "Double Krunch." Yes, with a K. Anyway, it was quite delicious. It had this peppery mayonnaise sauce. And the chicken was truly crunchy, like how fried chicken is supposed to be.

This is the "Kreme Bowl." (They're really into replacing C's with K's, not unlike middle schoolers discovering AIM for the first time.) This was mango-flavored, and there were nutty crunchies on the bottom. Delicious.

They must not like mashed potatoes in France because they offer fries as a side instead. Strangely, this makes the meal much more like something you would get at a McDonald's in the United States than at a KFC. 

I headed out to get this unhealthy meal in sweats and moccasins. I think when I dress up one day, I have to compensate by dressing like a slob the next day. Anyway, I need to sue the Weather Channel application, as they told me there was 0% rain, while walking outside showed me a very different report. But I was too lazy to get an umbrella, so...

On the way back, I spotted the dalmatian I had seen last week. I took a page out of The Bell Jar and decided to go up and just pet the dog. (Sylvia Plath details how when you casually act like what you're doing is acceptable, people will just assume it is even when it totally isn't. Like eating caviar by smearing it on chicken slabs and rolling them up like scaloppine, which is what Esther Greenwood does.) The owner informed me that his name was Clovis (pronounced like Cloh-veeeeeeessss, in that supremely French way), and indicated that he was named after "le premier roi de France" by miming a circle around his head. 

Anyway, question: what the hell is this? It was in the bathroom. (And yes, a gender appropriate bathroom.) It wasn't a hand dryer or paper towel dispenser or soap dispenser, as all those things were present. So... I don't know. Once again, perplexing random things I find in French public places.



No comments: