Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 3.41667: Paying at Restaurants

I was going to limit myself to one post a day, but really, who thought that was going to last?

I enjoyed a nice dinner at Miss Ko, an Asian fusion restaurant on the Champs-Élysées. And I will get into the good things, but first: paying. (The following goes out to Laney and Claire.)

I never understand why paying at restaurants is always such a laborious task. First of all, the bill says what everyone ordered. Yeah, yeah, I know everyone doesn't have exactly $18.99 on them in exact change, but rounding up is key, people. (I don't like being a cheap bastard to waiters who learn less than minimum wage, after all.)

Tipping may be the problem, but this restaurant kindly calculated the tip for us--also begging the question whether French people tip or not. This wishy-washy attitude about tipping is driving me crazy. Anyway, despite all the efforts someone put into programming a computer that could spit out this easy-to-read bill, everyone at the table pulled out their calculators and proceeded to make some calculations I as a math major cannot begin to fathom. For instance, my delicious Cream Salmon Roll was 14€. I typically do 20% (because why not?), and so I rounded up to 15
€ to make my life a bit easier. So 15 divided by 5... 3! 17€ on the table. Fin. QED.

Everyone at the table began squabbling, and I tried to mediate the bill paying, but as soon as I asked who ordered what, the bill was taken away from me for them to do some more pointless calculations on. How much do we pay with tip? Without tip? What's 50 divided by 6? (Not a whole number, guys.) What is the square root of 83234?

I kid about the last question, but seriously. I would've even split the bill evenly six ways, even though I ordered one of the less expensive items, just to get everyone to finally agree on something. I mean, jeez. Six math majors at Scion in DC figured out the bill and detected an addition error before the waiter even came back for it. That's why we rock.

Ranting aside, I think the metro here is growing on me. Thankfully, it appears comprehensible, unlike New York's twisted subway of letters and numbers. The only thing that strikes me is that it's BIG. There are so many lines intersecting, but I have apps (offline, now I have to check for that) that determine the best route. (Preferably one that doesn't involve this RER walking-to-another-station nonsense.) My current problem is that I want to buy a pass like a fancy Parisian, but I'm going to wait until the Metro info session at AUP before I make any rash decisions.

Walking out of the metro exit to look down the street and see the Arc de Triomphe... It's spectacular. And the city of lights was glowing even more, as they still have holiday lights hanging. They stretch out, connecting neighboring buildings, so you walk under beautiful lights of bells and trees and Eiffel Towers. And I was walking on the Champs-Élysées! I hope the feeling of wonder doesn't go away. It still doesn't when I (very occasionally) run by the Lincoln Memorial.

To round out my random thoughts...

I saw a Novotel, and those who went to China with my family in April of 2005 know that that hotel had the BEST breakfast I've ever had. I'm tempted to stop by and see if they'll make me a strawberry crêpe with a mountain of whipped cream. Yummy.

GW and FIT (Fashion Institute in New York, I believe) dominate here. And many of us--everyone in the program, that is--live in the 15th arrondissement. 

The KFC actually attracts customers. Yes, there's a KFC.

There was green tea ice cream on the menu tonight, which I was deprived of because of unnecessary bill craziness. (I don't know if I can let missing out on green tea ice cream go. Sorry, Idina.)

I've been forbidden to wear the American scarf, Jamie. I apologize. We also are not allowed to watch peace marches for the Dutch, apparently.

My key is really awesome-looking but expensive to replace. Who know a key could cost 300€?

I look forward to taking real pictures, but I don't know when all these bonding exercises will ever end. To be clear, I like being with people, but I just think I've learned more researching and wandering around by myself.

Off to the shower of claustrophobia. I'm shuddering now, and I will be when I step out. Mmm, well, I have hot chocolate--chocolat chaud. And leftover pizza. I already ate half the pasta. I'm going to gain beaucoup de kilos while I'm here, I just know it. I can rival Colin with my chubby cheeks. :)

No comments: