Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 23: Cards Are NOT Maps

Listening to: "A Map of New York" from If / Then

Urgh. I've been trying to recharge my Navigo transportation card from home because, you know, going outside is so hard. Anyway, the site is driving me crazy every time it translates the French word carte into "map." We learned in French I that a carte in the classroom setting is indeed a map, but nowadays, the French use carte to refer to a credit card (or "bank card," as Europeans prefer to say). So sometimes Google Translate gets this right, and sometimes it doesn't. More frustrating is trying to turn Google Translate on and off. My computer is so confused with me right now, given that I view most of my sites in English, but now a lot of the website names have French domains.

Grrr.

I am unsuccessfully trying to map out how I plan to spend my time in Paris. However, I keep getting sidetracked on Google Maps. Then there's the frustration of remembering a place mentioned in French class or in a movie and being unable to find it online, no matter how specifically or vaguely I search through Google. Then there's the constant reminder to pay up for trips to Brussels and Giverny through the school... Oh, I have to set up the calendar that the FYI (First-Year Initiates) coordinator gave us...

No comments: