Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 8: New Roomie

Listening to: "Giants In The Sky" from Into the Woods

My song choice goes out to my roommate, Nicole, who moved in today. As I was singing my head off in my terrible Little Red Riding Hood falsetto, she walked by and casually informed me that she liked Into the Woods as well. Good start, my friends, good start.

Just as I did this last semester, we feng shui-ed the furniture into the best configuration, i.e., now we all have separate bedrooms. Nicole and I agreed right away that the other seemed lovely, but the key to roommate harmony is having time to talk to your boyfriend (for her) and typing like a maniac in the middle of the night (for me).

So now I have a couch in my room, which should be good for whoever comes to visit my humble abode. But be on your best behavior! I like my roommates. Besides, we need to make a good impression, as it turns out certain child actors can turn out to be terrible roommates who don't wash the dishes and break the walls the down and invite strange French men to canoodle in the common areas. Poor Nicole. 

After finagling with the furniture, Nicole's mother took us out for dinner. We went to a little sushi place down the corner from our Metro stop. So strangely enough, I've experienced a lot of Asian food here in France. The edamame was quite delicious, and Smiths were excellent company. We covered lots of topics, and I ensured Nicole that she would hear even more stories when my mother comes down to visit. Lucky her.

So Nicole informed me that French sinks aren't supposed to flood... Now that we have the French equivalent of Drain-O cleaning up gosh knows what in the drain, I am pleased that I can shower without having to worry about building an ark for the rest of the building. She gave me lots of helpful tips, as she was here last semester. And apparently, receiving two towels from Comforts of Home is actually luxury service! She and her other roommates received no towels or sheets. Craziness. Puts things into perspective.

For those dying to know, here's my new room setup:



Cozy, right? It's apparently better to have small, CLEAN rooms than larger, messy rooms.

Not a big day for exploration, but it was a good day for information.

We'll be a trio on Monday, and then we'll have to get around to that Roommate Agreement. So BBT

Did you know that tartar came in refrigerator packages? I do now!

No comments: