Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Day 6: Katherine the Conqueror

Listening to: "You've Got That Thing" from Midnight in Paris soundtrack

Today, I conquered the Metro! Which means I did not board a wrong train AT ALL. And I was on time! Guess who didn't just fall off the turnip truck? (Big Bang Theory references FTW.) I was glowing from that...

...But the city glowed brighter tonight! Boy oh boy, I've got some pictures to share. Now, I--in my stupidity--forgot to get my camera, but I still think these are worth sharing. Plus I would rather take awesome photos without a glass window reflecting my (admittedly beautiful) face.

Curse moving vehicles! This is the Palais Garnier, better known to us Americans as the Paris Opera House.

This is rather morbid, but this square is right near where Princess Diana was in her fatal car accident.

At 9 pm (21:00 for the military and Europeans), the Eiffel Tower, in addition to being lit up, SPARKLES. The first shot was incredibly lucky; the second one is blurry but "artistic."

 Strange, but every time we've driven by here, this place is very empty. Apparently you can climb into the Arc de Triomphe.

 I find this shot very Devil Wears Prada-esque. Actually, all over the Metro I've seen posters for what appears to be a sequel novel.

Parisian holiday lights, informing us that we are in the 7th arrondissement.

Now, for my RENT-heads out there...

 
=
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:7th_Ave_sign.jpg

+
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anthony_Rapp_at_BCEFA.jpg

Phew, I crack myself up.
Moving on...

This may not be the right building, but see those tiny archways? Our bus squeezed through one of them. The mirror was closer to the wall than when I park in the garage. (And that's bad.)

Google just told me that this is the Saint Jacques Tower. Otherwise, I was just going to caption this Gray Tower with Angel in Front.

Prettiest lighthouse I've ever seen. A beacon of hope! (Oh, man, I can just imagine Fitzgerald narrowing his eyes at me.)

Don't leave meeeeee, holiday lights.

I don't exactly know how putting lights "on" a tree like this works, but whatever. It's cool. A three-dimensional parabola! (Paraboloid?)

Haha, just talked about this yesterday. But given the contents of the previous movies, wouldn't this encourage people to NOT go to Europe??? (This video concurs.)

Across the Seine is the Institut de France. All I can remember the tour guide telling us is that they decide what goes in the dictionary. So--the fate of the French equivalent of "selfie" is in their hands.

This is the awesome Roue de Paris. Sadly, it's being torn down next month, as it was also a holiday construction. 

Hey, if you were here, you'd be taking thousands of pictures of the Eiffel Tower too.

This is my pathetic shot of Notre-Dame. (Not that Notre Dame, Dad.) Curse sitting on the wrong side of the bus! And why aren't these people more interested? The fictional Quasimodo lived there! 

 Lastly, I leave you with this video. Good night! Or good afternoon, you EST people. I'm going to go eat a crêpe. In return, you all could eat some popcorn and think of me. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thumbs up for Midnight in Paris reference.
Thumbs down for Big Bang Theory reference.
It's a little late to have holiday decorations up...