Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 49: Square

Listening to: "There is Nothing Like a Dame" from the musical South Pacific

Wow. Yesterday was the first time I not only rain checked on you guys, but that I actually forgot to post something.

I was hemming and hawing over whether to post something, given that absolutely nothing happened yesterday. I mean, I watched The Aristocats. And Aladdin and King of Thieves. And Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure. All instead of reading Ulysses, which is actually interesting. 

But what can I say? I like hipster Disney sequels. They come from my childhood after all. I'm sick of everyone knocking them. Because yes, I do like The Lion King II: Simba's Pride better than the original. Gasp! I may get stoned now by my peers.

My mind just feels blank. So I just practice on my useless French app and download music. There's something comforting about it.

Hopefully I'll snap out of this funk. My roommate from last semester, Jamie, arrived in Paris yesterday, and hopefully we can get some dinner tonight. You know. Once I read Ulysses. And do my take-home midterm for Shakespeare in Context. And the creative writing exercise for British Modernism. And the other essay for British Modernism. And read two long chapters about Baroque Art for Art History class. And write a chocolate pudding pie recipe for French class. Is it no wonder I'm a wee bit stressed?

By the way, my mother has officially corroborated my tale of the "let's talk about the Chinese girl because she can't understand us." When we were at Harry's Bar and I was taking pictures of the pennants, I once again heard the telltale "chinoise" French adjective. And my mother heard the word "étudiante," which she correctly assumed means "student." So they were totally talking about me while I was taking pictures in front of them. I'm just waiting for the perfect opportunity to say, "Hey, I can understand you." 

"Alors, je peux vous comprendre." Then stick my tongue out and run away. Like the mature 21-year-old woman that I am.

Can't wait to have Matt here tomorrow. It'll be good to have some company from home--er, from Washington, DC.


No comments: