Sunday, March 22, 2015

Day 62: Did you know James Joyce wrote dirty love letters?

Listening to: "When New York Was Irish," written by Terrence Winch

Sorry.

I admit, I am playing a bit of a social experiment with this title. Because scientific-method-fan like me can't help but notice when a post named "Hashtag Virginal" takes up all the page views for a week. 

So I'm pulling a John and Hank Green with the title. It's not as good as their experiments in which they put giraffes having sex as their video thumbnails and then dissect the statistics that come in: these videos have millions of views, and most of the views are from male users.

Anyway, I've spent the whole day commenting on our online Ulysses site. I get way too much joy from this. And yes, my comments there are just as annoying and pretentious as what I blather about here, so no, I'm not sharing them.

However, I have to share this:

This wonderful photo comes from a Tumblr page titled "Ulysses, René Magritte, and Pigeons." And it's awesome for obvious reasons. (By the way, if you want to get the Magritte, either read The Fault in Our Stars or this Wikipedia page.)

And since my unfortunate need to make my own nerdy memes has not been sated, I also made this. Though the quote is not mine, sadly. It's actually Channing Tatum's line from 21 Jump Street.


By the way, despite the fact that I'm an insufferable writer who makes fun of my readers and myself, I want to thank you. Some of you have said some incredibly kind things about this blog, and I appreciate more than my snarky side would like to let on. However, sometimes my sincere side will take over, and right now she's saying, "Thank you," with all the sincerity and adorableness of a smiling kitten.


(P.S. For those loyal readers who stuck around, I'll be honest: James Joyce did write dirty love letters to his wife. They are a hoot to read. Just don't read them in public. But if you really want to be uncomfortable/enjoy Joyce's words, listen to them here. And I'll reiterate: these are definitely NSFW.)

(P.P.S. Don't worry, parents, I'm still learning things in these classes. Don't pull me out of school just yet.)





No comments: